02 May, 2011

The Mrs Malaprops of Fashion

The cream of society
Princesses Beatrice
& Eugenie
The royal wedding passed me by. As a confirmed republican I had no interest and felt it was all a glorious bit of theatre. The thing that depresses me, however, is the realisation that so many millions across the world have such shallow lives that they are actually interested and impressed by this sort of thing! Despite that  I will, however, comment on it. Be warned – none of this is going to be good – especially since the comments I will make are things I know absolutely nothing about!

When I saw the pictures of the wedding later in the day, on the TV news or in the morning  paper I had an awful sense of déjà vu. Let me explain.

Last summer my wife and I looked after our grandchildren for a couple of days at their home near Reading. Our son and his wife were, as they do each year, going to Royal Ascot and  so we were enlisted as childminders. I agreed to drop them off at Ascot (to save the cost of a taxi) and to pick them up afterwards. They went off in top hat and tails, all very grand and I later met them outside the racecourse as the throngs left. The roads around Ascot were filled with  bizarrely dressed people all climbing into their Rollers, Jags and Bentleys. The cream of English society. I was going back to the Reading area to my fish and chip tea (or should I say 'supper' when I’m in Royal Berkshire?)! I was really looking forward to my chip butties complete with HP brown sauce as my son and daughter in law sat in the back of the car a little the worse for wear having consumed vast quantities of champagne. As I drove home, my family slumbering, I put what I had seen down to the Ascot madness that we see every year where 'ladies' put on very silly hats to outdo each other in the 'Silliness Handicap' -  a glorious fancy dress parade - or is it a horse race for old mares?
Sally Bercow displays
her bits!

Next day we drove home and half way up the M40 stopped at a service area for a coffee. It was packed with coaches – all full of grotesquely dressed woman on their way to 'Ladies Day' at Ascot. I was doubtful that they would be allowed in since I was uncertain that any could be truthfully described as 'ladies' . Loud of voice, very tight short skirts displaying bulging thighs, bosoms on display, headgear ( I cannot say hats) that verged upon the ridiculous, shoes so high that many struggled to stand in them, bulging midriffs  and make up  that could in no way be described as tasteful or subtle. Now you may think that I’m just a grumpy old man (probably true) and I agree I am not a fashion aficionado but even my wife, who seems to knows about these things, agreed that these women must  have got dressed in the dark that morning or did not possess a mirror and certainly had absolutely no sense of style, taste or dress.  In short it was like walking through a TV set from the 1970s when all the characters were played by Dick Emery as he impersonated 'Mandy' – the bosomy tart he portrayed week after week and who always ended each sketch with the knowing wink and  'Oh you are awful' . But in the end, I put it down to nothing more serious than lots  of fashion wannabes on a girly day out, having a bit of fun.   It was however, reminiscent of some Hogarthian drawing of 'The Rake’s Progress' genre!

Hogarth's trollops and baggages
Got it wrong David,
and love your
 tasteful shoes and
 Croydon
face lift Posh!
And then I saw the fashion at the weekend’s wedding. The really was cream of English society.  The social event of the world and the decade and  I saw exactly the same styles (I use the word loosely) in Westminster Abbey as I had on the M40 service area - but this time from the great and the good, the movers and shakers, those who we are supposed to admire, look up to and to 'follow'. This was not  a girly day out or a fancy dress parade, it was serious stuff.  My interest was aroused – was I a fashion philistine or was this really just 'bad taste' - I suspected the latter. I surfed the net to see what the fashion commentators were saying – and they all agreed with me! I was not wrong! As always the Queen looked  wonderful – tasteful, quietly stunning, elegant, regal even (and I am not a supporter!) . The bride and her sister too looked breathtaking. But as for the rest – it was a re-run of the M40 service area. Even the royal sycophantic newspaper the Daily Mail  was critical – 'undeniably eye catching' was one of their comments – 'but for all the wrong reasons'. I couldn't have put it better myself – more or less word for word my comment a year ago on the M40. 'The overall result was brash and in your face' said one fashion expert.
Get Ed to buy you
 a mirror for your
 birthday!
                                                                                                                                                             
'The skirt cut her calves offat the wrong place, the shrunken velvet jacket with its baggy, wrinkled arms looked like it had a run in with a pair of shears and a hot wash and her stiff lace hat splatted dementedly on top of her head, spiking out at all angles and looking for all the world as though it was thrown there from a great height' said another when describing the outfit worn by Ed Milliband’s partner. Just what I thought! Princess Beatrice’s 'hat' was  described as looking like 'something that had melted on Star Trek'. Another commentator asked 'are times so hard that royals can’t afford irons?' and others, just  like the gang on the M40, simply flouted the 'rules' that dictate a demure skirt length and neck line. Sally Bercow, wife of Parliament’s Speaker John Bercow - and the most important man in Parliament  - was obviously so anxious to display her 'bits' (yes, I did say 'bits'!). And those great arbiters of fashion the  Beckhams strutted their stuff too. Good old David decided it was tasteful to wear his OBE (oh dear, how sad) – except he committed the ultimate faux pas by wearing it on the wrong side and had to hurriedly change it when he was advised of this. And the lovely Victoria, just like the gals on the M40 wearing heels so high she looked ridiculous  and in danger of needing an oxygen mask  she presented herself with what several fashion correspondents described as her 'Croydon face lift'! Yep, just like the M40 – although geographically the lasses last year on their way to Ladies Day would have been wearing their Birmingham face lift, or Nottingham face lift or anywhere north of Ascot! Even the bizarre fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld was critical. When talking about the dress sense of the Princesses Eugenie and Beatrice he commented:  'There's a word for those two sisters, but I'm not going to say it.'
Yep,  didn't go a bundle on her
but she had style!

They were like so many Mrs Malaprops of fashion. Just as Mrs Malaprop in Sheridan's "The Rivals" tried desperately to look wise, sophisticated and erudite by showing off her linguistic skills – but then unfortunately always fell short and in doing so and  displayed her lack of learning and breeding to   eighteenth century  Bath society - so too did the women on display in the Abbey.   Like the gals on the M40 or those stumbling drunkely out of Ascot  they tried to look stylish, but since they had no idea of what style or good taste was, fell far short and looked like Hogarthian 'baggages' and 'trollops' – or to use the modern technical term, 'scrubbers'!

I could go on – but will not dwell on it. In the end it was just a wedding and so what if people want to  look very foolish. But I did think it bizarre that  a man known for his extravagant and tasteless dress code – Elton John – was in fact one of the more tastefully attired people on view.

She had it too!
I cannot, however,  resist commenting that  in a celebrity driven culture such as ours  these people exert a disproportionate effect. In the great scheme of things it isn’t perhaps too important but as the fashion correspondent said 'the overall effect was brash and in your face'. And this characterises so much of our society today – brash and in your face. Whether it be the violence portrayed on our TV and cinema screens, the casual use of aggressive, abusive and unpleasant language on our streets and in our football stadiums , the casual and often explicit sex that seems to comprise  so much TV  or the crude language of modern comedians it seems to me fashion is a  part of this bigger picture. As with TV and the cinema, brash, in your face fashion or drama or music only continues to be exciting or memorable if it becomes ever more brash and in your face. We have all got used to violence and bad language on our TV screens so programmes have to become even more brutal to have an impact - just as with the drug user the 'fix' has to be continually upgraded to have any effect. And so it has become with fashion - the ridiculous 'hats', the styles, the materials, the shoes are all designed and chosen for effect and impact and to have the desired impact they become ever more bizarre. Just as a cheap, violent sex movies rely on sex and violence to sell them over  storyline and worth as  pieces of drama so too the bizarre fashions mask the shallowness and shortcomings of the people who wear them.  Subtly, understatement, quality  and quiet taste now has to be sought out. In fashion terms, where at the royal wedding was the equivalent of Audrey Hepburn’s 'little black dress' or Jackie Kennedy’s  smart dress sense. Where are the style setters like Callas or indeed the person hovering in the Westminster background throughout the wedding – Princess Diana?  I am not a Diana fan – she was a very silly and immature girl – but she had style and taste.  Maybe that was at the root of her problems with the royal family – she had something that they have never had and deep down people recognised this and loved her for it!

Will the Abbey fashion
 be remembered for as long
as Hepburn's 'little
 black dress'?
As a child of the fifties and sixties I'm supposed to be liberal in my views - let it all hang out, accept that fashion is personal and that beauty is in the eye of he beholder. As I mentioned above I know that I am not conversant with the finer points of fashion and dress sense so perhaps I should just accept it for what it is. I don't know if the clothes worn by people like Diana or Hepburn or Kennedy were intrinsically more tasteful or better designed or better 'works of art' than Sally Bercow's offering. In the end it comes down to the old chestnuts such as is Bach better than the Beatles or is Emin better than Rembrandt? But deep down I believe that most things do have an inner worth and that an essential quality of good design or taste or music or art or designer clothes etc. is that they should pass the test of time. Hepburn's little black dress, the music of the Beatles, Rembrandt's art, the music of Gershwin or Bach, the wedding dress chosen by Kate Middleton will still turn eyes and ears half a century hence. I'm not sure about the dress code of Princesses Beatrice or Eugenie or Victoria Beckham or many of the other baggages on display over the weekend. I suspect that one day, twenty years hence these women might look at the photographs of themselves and say, 'Oh my God, did I really go out looking like that!'

Fashion, of course, is by its very nature transitory and ever changing but that is not an excuse for the brash, the gross and the tasteless – which is what we got from the cream of English society on Friday -  and millions across the world tuned in and thought it was good and something to aspire to.

But then again, what do I know?


No comments:

Post a Comment