19 October, 2012

“.......In This Work Are Contained The Most Hidden Beauties Possible In The Art Of Music......”.

When the phone rang earlier this week I almost didn’t answer – our lives are plagued by cold callers and call centres trying to sell us double glazing, cavity wall insulation and the rest. The number that came up on the screen certainly looked like a call centre but without thinking I answered – and I was so pleased that I did. “Hello” said the lady on the other end, “this is Lakeside Arts Centre here, we have two return tickets for Thursday night’s concert – are you still interested”. At first I was thrown – Lakeside, concert, Thursday night? And then it all fell into place.
The Djanogly Recital Hall at
Nottingham University
You see many weeks ago I discovered that the pianist Angela Hewitt was coming to Nottingham and playing two recitals at Nottingham University – one in October and the other in April 2013. The programme – Bach’s “Art of the Fugue”. I applied for tickets on the first day they were available but the October concert had already been snapped up. I did get tickets for the April date and the lady in the booking office said she would put my name down on the list for any October returns but neither she nor I had much hope. And, then, on Monday afternoon she rang back. The rest is history!

So last evening Pat and I made the short trip to the University and in the Recital Hall we listened not only to the wonderful music of Bach but also heard it played by Hewitt who is unarguably today the foremost interpreter of Bach’s keyboard music. In the intimate atmosphere of the Djanogly Recital Hall, together with about 350 other Bach enthusiasts,  we sat entranced and mesmerised. As I looked round the audience I noticed many sitting with their eyes closed – not sleeping but simply savouring the sound of Bach and Hewitt. I found myself, like many others, craning forward  - on the edge of my seat – hanging onto every note. Quite magical. Boy was I glad that I answered that phone call on Monday afternoon!
The magical Angela Hewitt - Glenn
Gould's heir!

Angela Hewitt is currently on a world tour of major concert venues where she will perform Bach’s hugely complicated (and, as result, not often performed) Art of the Fugue. Our evening in Nottingham University  was one of those  concerts. In the last few years Hewitt has made Bach her own. She has recorded virtually all Bach’s keyboard works – bringing her such praise as “one of the recording glories of the modern age” and “the pianist who will define Bach performance on the piano for years to come”. I don’t think anyone who sat in the Recital Hall last night would disagree with those comments.

My lasting memory, however, of the evening is one I would never have expected when I took my seat. I had expected to be entranced and humbled to hear the great music of Bach – just as I am each time I visit the Thomaskirche in Leipzig and hear the great choral music sung in the place where Bach wrote it almost three hundred years ago. I had expected to feel a thrill to be hearing one of the world’s great pianists play only a mile or two from my home. Yes, I had expected all that and I wasn’t in any way disappointed. But what I will remember when I think back to that concert is the look of both joy and exhaustion when Hewitt stood up to take her applause after the final note of the Fugues. The thunderous applause was expected – she will be  used to that – but as I looked at her (and in the in the intimate environment of the Recital Hall we were very close) she smiled and bowed but looked absolutely drained and exhausted so much had she put into her performance. How does one “wind down” from something like that I pondered? How can you do that night after night? How paltry my £20 seemed for such an inspiring two hours. Worth every penny and more!
Hewitt in full flow!
On the same day as the concert  I saw on the news that football clubs are being criticised  for huge price rises in the costs of their seats I thought what a strange world we live in – I pay just £20 to see and hear the most glorious music known to mankind and  played by the greatest exponent of that music in the world - a one off opportunity and event.  And yet it would cost me far more than £20 to go and see my local football team filled with some very mediocre players and I can do that week after week. I could watch them huff and puff, run around, kick a bag of air round a bit of grass, abuse each other and in the case of the England v Serbia game earlier this week have a violent scrap at the end! What a strange set of values operates in the modern world! It seemed to turn the whole basic principles of economics on its head! In economics, I seem to remember from when I studied it, that economic “worth” is determined by the  scarcity of a resource and the desire of people for that scarce resource. Now, clearly, many people desire Premiership football matches but football is not a scarce resource – society and the media is awash with the stuff - so why is it expensive! And to add to that, another very basic economic law is that of “diminishing returns” which basically states the more that one gets of a thing the less one values it – surely that is true of football! So what strange economic and psycholgical laws kick in here – where something of dubious quality and certainly no scarcity is increasingly desired by people who are already sated on it – and those same people will pay ever increasing amounts to get more of something they already have a lot of! I’m confused!

Pages from Bach's 1st edition of the Art of the Fugue
But back to Hewitt and Bach! As I sat enjoying the concert and listening to Angela Hewitt entertainingly describe and explain to us in the audience the underlying themes of the Fugues and to give us some insight into Bach’s brilliance and the musicology of the piece I was struck with another thought. Hewitt is, as I say, the greatest interpreter of Bach today. Although she lives in London she is in fact Canadian by birth – and that is the twist! To Bach enthusiasts the world over, when one thinks of Bach’s keyboard works one name above all others springs to mind – the great Glenn Gould. Many might disapprove of Gould’s interpretations of some Bach pieces but all would agree that he stands head and shoulders above the rest in terms of his playing skills and prodigious talent. And – Gould, too, was Canadian. In his home city, Toronto,  the same city where Hewitt studied Gould’s statue sits proudly on a pavement bench – and is visited by Gould “nuts”, Bach enthusiasts and serious music scholars from all over the world. What is it about Canada – a large country in area but not the biggest population on the planet – that it should produce these two huge Bach talents?
The idiosyncratic Glenn Gould in typical pose

Hewitt in most ways is the opposite of  Gould – she is bright, outgoing, an easy communicator – a star in every sense of the word. Gould on the other hand was  difficult, reclusive and often antagonistic. Stories about Gould are the stuff of legend – indeed he became something of a myth in his own short life time (he died aged 50 in 1982). For example, he was a child prodigy  passing his final Conservatory examination in piano at the age of 12  and in doing so achieving the highest marks ever of any candidate before or since. Whilst playing and recording he hummed to the intense annoyance of audience and recording engineers and, it has to be said, many who bought his discs! He was averse to cold, and wore heavy clothing (including gloves), even in warmest of places. He was once arrested and mistaken for a vagrant, while sitting on a park bench in Florida, dressed in his standard all-climate attire of coat(s), warm hat, and mittens. The temperature of the recording studio had to be exactly regulated. It was said that when Gould was recording the air conditioning and heating engineers had to work just as hard as the recording engineers.  A small rug would be required for his feet underneath the piano. His piano had to be set at a certain height and would be raised on wooden blocks if necessary. He had to sit exactly fourteen inches above the floor and would play concerts only while sitting on the old chair his father had made. He continued to use this chair even when the seat was completely worn through. His chair is so closely identified with him that it is shown in a place of honour in a glass case at the National Library of Canada! Since his death a steady stream of Bach enthusiasts from all over the world visit his grave.  And even in forty years since his death his memory is recalled in deep space! In the Voyager 1, the  deep space probe launched by NASA in 1977 – five years before Gould’s death - there is “the Golden Record” a specially constructed “record” of the greatest sounds of mankind and his culture. There are three Bach recordings included – one of them is Gould’s interpretation of the Prelude and Fugue in C major. So, the music of Bach and the prodigious talent of Glenn Gould is hurtling through space – and is now the furthest man-made object from earth!
Voyager 1 - containign Gould's 1955 version of Bach's
Goldberg Variation - the furthest man made
object from Earth!
And for myself.........my Bach keyboard recordings are virtually all (except for one or two by Angela Hewitt!) by Gould. Pride of place goes to Gould’s 1955 recording of the Goldberg Variations– considered by many to be the definitive interpretation of the great work.  The Goldberg is considered by many – myself included – to be the greatest piece of music ever written. The opening bars of the Goldberg are carved onto Gould's gravestone and if I had only one piece of music to listen to that would be it. On a melancholy personal note I have already instructed my wife when the grim reaper appears then it is the aria from that work that will be played at my funeral! I have Gould’s later interpretation of the piece dated from 1981 but nothing compares to the 1955. By a strange twist of fate the 1955 version was the first recording the young Gould made and it turned the classical music  world and the music of Bach on its head so great was its impact. When Gould recorded the piece again in 1981 it was – although no-one knew it at the time - the last recording Gould would make! However, having had the pleasure of listening to Angela Hewitt a third version - that of Hewitt - will be shortly finding its way into my collection!
Gould recording - all wrapped against the elements

And  Angela Hewitt? – as I say, not at all like Gould – but without any doubt his musical heir. Last night’s programme was a delight – mostly Bach but with a Beethoven Sonata thrown in and a wonderful encore which the audience loved. The main piece of the evening was, of course, the Art of the Fugue – the first ten “movements” or “Contrapunctus” as Bach termed them. At the April concert we will hear the remaining parts of the work. In whatever she played her fingers flew across the keys and the sound of the Steinway grand piano positively filled the Hall – although Angela Hewitt is quite a tall lady she is slim and certainly no heavyweight – how did she make such a big sound! During the short interval I commented to my Pat “how does she remember all the notes?”. But in the second half when we heard the Art of the Fugue a small music stand was erected on the piano and it appeared that a kind of i-pad placed on it? It certainly wasn’t sheet music – maybe it was the musical equivalent of the politician’s autocue!
The wonderful statue of Gould in his native Toronto.
Maybe the city fathers will one day place Angela Hewitt
at his side!

But what a performance of this hugely difficult piece!  As I sit writing this blog on my office notice board behind me is pinned my ticket for the next Hewitt concert in April 2013 – when we will hear the remaining parts of Bach’s great work. Now, there is something to get me through the winter! In the programme notes, the eighteenth century musicologist Friederich Wilhelm Marpurg was quoted. He said of Bach’s work : “The name of the composer is sufficient recommendation for a work of this nature.........in this work are contained the most hidden beauties possible in the art of music. To be an excellent musician and not appreciate the virtues of Bach is a contradiction. In the minds of all who had the good fortune to hear him, there still hovers the memory of his astonishing facility.........and his performance, equally excellent in all keys, in the most difficult passages and figures, was always envied by the greatest masters of the keyboard”. I don’t think that anyone who sat in the Nottingham University Recital Hall with Pat and I last night would disagree with that and I would add that Marpurg’s comments about Bach's "astonishing facility" with "the most difficult passages and figures" would in any way deny that the comments could equally be  applied to Angela Hewitt’s performance, her keyboard skills and indeed her "feel" for the music of Bach – breathtaking, inspiring and quite unforgettable. Roll on April 25th!  

No comments:

Post a Comment