05 November, 2014

Pssst! Listen, Do You Want To Know A secret..........

Fifty years ago at about this time of year in 1964 I went with friend in his mini to Liverpool. It was a Sunday as I remember it (we missed going to evening service at church!) and we went on the short trip from Preston to the Liverpool Empire to see the Beatles who were then on top of the world, at the height of their fame. The swinging sixties were just upon us! We counted ourselves hugely lucky to get tickets to see the group in their home town -  understandably they were like gold dust. We had only got them because my dad, who was a lorry driver and often carried loads  to and from Liverpool docks obtained them from a friend of a friend of a friend who worked on the docks. I didn’t ask too many questions – I know they fell off the back of a lorry or to be more precise were got in some kind of devious exchange for something that “fell off the back of dad’s lorry”!
At the Beatles' concert in Preston in 1963 -
together with friends I was there in that mob
somewhere

I had seen the Beatles live once before, about a year previously when they played at the Preston Public Hall. On both occasions one could hear very little because of the screaming girls in the audience but they were both events I will always remember. They sang all their popular songs and in particular one of my favourites “Listen, do you want to know a secret?”. The song had been top of the hit parade earlier in 1964 when it was sung by Billy J Kramer but it was a Lennon/McCartney song and had first been heard on the early Beatle LP “Please, Please Me” – of which I was a proud owner. I don’t know what I liked about the song – maybe it was one of the few sung by Beatle George Harrison. Harrison was possibly the most accomplished musician in the group but no singer – in fact John Lennon once said they allowed Harrison to sing the song because it only has three notes and Harrison could only sing three notes!
The LP where "Do You want to Know A
Secret" was first heard

I’ve thought about this song, this “blast from the past” in the past couple of days because of what I have been reading and because of my personal life at the moment. Let me explain.

I have recently been reading of the sixteenth century French philosopher and author Michael de Montaigne and the more that I have read the more I have been both intrigued and impressed by him. Montaigne is regarded by many as one the fathers of modern philosophy and  thought. Prior to Montaigne most philosophical thought had been built upon the classical Greek ideas of Aristotle or Socrates. Montaigne’s “philosophy”, filled with anecdotes and observations of what he saw of the behaviour, attitudes and beliefs of men and women brought a new perspective. Briefly, where the classical philosopher saw man as a rational being and one who would (and should) aspire to make decisions on sound rational reasons, always seeking for higher ideals Montaigne saw things differently. For him men and women operated in their own world and made decisions and took action based upon their culture, experiences and personal views which were often at odds with what others believed and thought. It was a much earthier philosophy of life and mankind.

Montaigne came from a wealthy French family and lived in a grand château in the south west of France. As a young man he travelled Europe and his journeys changed his view of the world and of people. What he saw and heard convinced him that people were just like him -  full of hopes fears, prejudices, beliefs based upon their upbringing, influenced by factors outside their control and so on. They were not the rational, sensible people envisaged and idealised by ancient philosophers who always acted in the most objective and best way –no,  they had human desires, human failings, often made bad decisions, they got drunk, broke wind and in many ways were simply one more member of the animal kingdom, no more,  no less. Increasingly he studied and wrote, spending much of his time in a circular library high in one of the Château's towers. On the ceiling beams of his library he wrote various comments such as “When good health and a fine sunny day smile at me I am quite debonair; give me an in-growing toe nail and I am touchy, bad tempered and inapproachable” – acknowledging himself and others as individuals with all our faults, warts and all.
Michel de Montaigne

When he was in his mid twenties he met a young poet of a similar age, Étienne de La Boétie, and they immediately became firm friends. They would spend huge amounts of time together in intellectual discussion. During these discussions Montaigne discussed his innermost thoughts and beliefs and began to formulate his view of the world. Sadly after about four years his friend died. Montaigne was distraught he had lost his soul mate and confidante and in 1571, he retired from public life to his so-called "citadel", the library in the chateau tower. He almost totally isolated himself from every social and family affair. He saw little of his wife and his surviving daughter (he and his wife had six children but only one survived to adulthood) and he began work on his Essais  ("Essays"), first published in 1580. As Montaigne wrote, he almost became himself on the page – he laid bare his innermost thoughts, feelings and beliefs just as he had done with his friend La Boétie. Essais set out Montaigne’s views, many of them formed on his journeying round Europe and in his discussions with his friend on philosophy, mankind, education, psychology and society and his central theme was that man is not rational, people are individuals,  everyone should be valued, there are no set rules that govern our behaviour or what it should be. Most of Montaigne’s views were ahead of their time and although they might look dated today in fact they are virtually all things that we now take for granted.
Montaigne's Library Tower

But there is more and it here that I come to the point of this blog. Montaigne realised that as he wrote his book he was no longer expressing his deepest secrets, thoughts, hopes, fears and beliefs in private to a trusted friend but to the whole world, people he didn’t know and could not trust – if they cared to read his book.  ”Listen” his book is saying,” do you want to know a secret?......I’ll tell you all mine”!  Montaigne was very aware of this paradox. He wrote, “......many things I would not tell any individual man I tell to the public and for knowledge of my most secret thoughts I refer my most loyal friends to a bookseller’s stall”  . Modern philosopher Alain De Botton ruefully comments on Montaigne’s paradox by saying:  “......we should be grateful for the paradox. Booksellers are the most valuable destination for the lonely, given the numbers of books that are written because authors couldn’t find anyone to talk to”.

And as I read all this I was struck to consider how much more true Montaigne’s comment and paradox is today. When he set his innermost thoughts down on paper, telling people he did not know and would never meet things that in other circumstances he would perhaps not even tell his wife he was still only writing for a very limited audience – few people were literate in those days and few could afford to buy books so his innermost thoughts maybe didn’t initially travel very far. But today is so different. Social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook, blogs like this one, an international media where people like me write to the editor and have our letters and thoughts  published, e-mails that can be sent to huge numbers of people at the press of a button all combine to ensure that our every action, thought and deed is instantly available to millions across the world. Of course the vast majority of comment on social media sites is in the realms of the banal or the simple reporting of a particular incident in a person’s life but put all these incidents together or when a person like me in a blog begins to express our feelings on a subject (say about a particular piece of government policy) then we are to a greater or lesser degree exposing our inner self for the world to examine us. And it doesn’t end there – increasingly people use social media and the media in general to clearly set out their views or innermost thoughts. We regularly see celebrities announcing on sites like Facebook or Twitter that they are separating from their husband or wife, we read of people “coming out” – telling of their previously closely guarded sexual orientation and just this morning I read the awful story of the young man who killed his teacher at school in Leeds. At the trial where the young man was yesterday found guilty it was recorded that he sent a Facebook message on Christmas Day to say he was going to kill the teacher. The genie, as they say, is very much out of the bottle – we live in a society were Montaigne’s paradox has indeed come true.

Anyone who has read my blogs before will undoubtedly have formed some mental picture of me. I frequently write of my political, social, personal and educational beliefs for anyone who has the staying power to  read my ramblings but in the spirit of Montaigne and perhaps in recognition of that much loved Beatles’ song and a night at the Liverpool Empire exactly half a century ago I feel that it is right to go a stage further by saying:

Listen
Do you want to know a secret
Do you promise not to tell,
Closer
Let me whisper in your ear

My slipped disc as revealed by an MRI scan.The offending
 disc is about four from the bottom and you can see it bulging out
like a black cherry and pressing on the spinal nerves
In my recent blogs I have referred on a few occasions to my “bad back” – a complaint that has dogged me throughout the summer. It has slowly improved but I still have to be very careful and know that it can “go again” at the least hasty movement. Well, after almost four months I have an MRI scan to show that my bad back is in fact a slipped disc. In a sense when the consultant confirmed this and showed me my scan to prove it I was delighted – the weeks of pain and lack of improvement had slowly wormed into my mind that the problem might be more serious and insidious. This is  classic case of Montaigne being proved right – all the logic, all the advice, my own research, my past problems with a bad back over many years told me that it was simply just a bad back – a twisted muscle, a slipped disc or whatever. But we are human and as Montaigne suggested logic often goes out of the window; we are not the rational beings envisaged by Aristotle , Plato and Socrates. So, throughout the summer as I got no better, I had convinced myself that my end was nigh, that some dreadful fate awaited me and that arrangements had to be made for my early demise.

In saying this is a fairly light hearted way I am not minimising it – I was, to be truthful, becoming a very dispirited, low and indeed frightened man. Increasingly easily upset and irritable I felt unable to shake these worrying thoughts from my mind. And although the news that the consultant gave me was indeed good news – my situation will hopefully slowly improve (indeed at the moment my back is much better), an occasional pain killer will suffice to help matters, walking, swimming will also help – and, if all else fails, then the consultant will, in the last resort, operate to rectify the problem, I am still not out of the woods mentally or emotionally. In short I am suffering a nasty bout of depression/anxiety. Just as with Montaigne with his  in-growing toe nail I am not a happy chappie!

For most of my life – even from teenage years (or maybe even before) I have been an anxious person – worrying about the smallest thing. Situations that others seem to take for granted and are just part of the pattern of everyday life I can get stressed about. I am, and always have been, a pessimist, always fearing the worst. In some respects this has been a strength, I spent my working life being diligent in the extreme to ensure that I did a “good job” – and was frequently applauded for it. As a teacher I would be in school very early in the morning to ensure that all was ready, no stone had been left unturned; my professional planning and administration was immaculate, my reports always thorough and appreciated. On many occasions I was told that I was “the most organised person” people knew. But I did all this simply because it was my way of coping – I had to be on top of things, in control, not found wanting, I was afraid for it to be otherwise. I would often look at colleagues and see how they could, on the surface at least, be much more laid back about things – and I wished I could be the same.
Very true, I think

And the same thing is very much part of my personal life – if Pat goes to the doctor’s for a minor ailment I am anxious till she returns and assures me that there is nothing seriously wrong; if our son or daughter rings up and says one of the grandchildren is unwell or has had a problem at school or is being a bit naughty at home I dwell on it and worry that some catastrophe will befall us all. All totally nutty and inappropriate but that is me. I am a compulsive “checker” of things: making trebly sure that the front door is locked if we go out, checking my blogs several times for spelling mistakes (and they still slip through!), checking the oil in the car regularly and so the list goes on. I need to be on top of things and I need to know that I have eliminated any potential problems before they happen. Each night I sit with my diary and make a list of the things that I have to do in both the short and longer term; if Pat mentions something that needs doing – a bit of gardening, a shelf putting up, the vegetables peeling then I have to do it immediately.  As I said above in many ways this can be a strength but it is also a weakness – and debilitating. And when a bad back comes along I find it difficult to cope with because no matter how much I try I cannot make it better by my own diligence – I am not in control and so slowly but surely dark thoughts enter my head and a form of depression sets in. Which is where I am at this moment in time.

Could have been written for me!
Hopefully, my back is slowly on the mend – and even if it isn’t I now know that it is not a thing to overly worry about – but the whole episode has dragged me low. The fears of the past few months have reduced me to a low state where I become upset at the least thing, feel constantly nauseous, and jump at the least loud noise or interruption. I have become much more of a recluse and simply want to be “secure”. Usually my condition improves during the day – and by evening I can be rather brighter – especially if I have had a shower and can look forward to a nice, secure and quiet night in. But by early morning (I always wake very early, and often don’t sleep after a about 3 a.m. – it has always been thus, when I was working I would lie in bed and plan the day!) I am awake and experiencing what I can only describe as an adrenalin rush, palpitations and feeling increasingly anxious, distressed, tearful, nauseous and my head and body feeling as if they are going to explode. Throughout the day I can become upset at the least thing - an article in the newspaper, a programme on TV; I know that I personalise everything, relating it back to my own situation. I look into the future and see fear - for the well being of my family and myself and all too often I look back to the past, relive the same stories again and again of how I used to hold a class of children in school in the palm of my hand, lead an assembly or hymn practice in front of 300 children, paint and decorate the house at the drop of  a hat, service the car,  play football with my son or drive a 300 mile round trip most Saturdays to visit my ageing father - and so it goes on.  And I weep for what now seems gone and or frightening and seemingly impossible for me. I often cling to Pat in sheer fear and panic. As I sit here writing this (it is about 11.30 in the morning) I feel a tightness in the top of the chest and throat and a feeling of sickness. I feel as if I am shaking inside and am unable to look to the future with anything approaching enthusiasm or brightness. Yesterday I forced myself to visit the local supermarket to help Pat with the weekly shop. The supermarket was quiet, there were no problems but I walked around clinging to the trolley for dear life, my heart pounding, sweat pouring from me so anxious had I become. Occasionally Pat would disappear up an aisle to get some item and I would stand there in a blind panic fearing for myself, casting my eyes around searching for her return to keep me safe.  Everything seems threatening and full of fear. We have good friends coming for lunch tomorrow – I am dreading it. Every little job – things that only a few weeks ago I would have considered normal, everyday things – filling the dishwasher, putting the rubbish bins out, going for a little walk around our local country park -  seem threatening mountains to climb. This term I joined a couple of U3A groups (philosophy & poetry) in the hope that not only would I enjoy and learn something but they would also help me to overcome my anxieties by mixing with people and getting out a little. The groups were good, the people lovely but in the end I found it all too threatening. That, for me, is one of the worst aspects of depression and anxiety that one feels increasingly cut off from "normal" people and ordinary life - alone with one's worries, sadnesses and anxieties.

 I have been here before – the last time when I was struggling with my heart failure - but since then have managed to keep it in check and control it. If one suffers from depression or anxiety then although pills might help and certainly my experience is that counselling or therapy support can be hugely helpful  you are never really free of it. It is always lurking in the background waiting to leap out on you when you least expect it or when life becomes just that little, bit more stressful , as mine did when my disc slipped in my back. And this is the frustrating and indeed depressing thing about it – you cannot control it and it affects you long after the thing that originally caused it in the first place has disappeared. My back is on the mend and is certainly manageable – but the effect of the episode on my mental state are still there and I suspect will remain so for some time. In short, I am told, my nerves have been shredded.

So, there you have me! Like Montaigne I have told the world my secret, I have in Lennon and McCartney’s words “....whispered in your ear” . Anyone, be they stranger or friend, can read this blog and access my private problems, my innermost thoughts, my secrets. In this age of “transparency” I understand that is the name of the game so I have put in print things for the whole world to read what I might not actually be confident enough to tell a good neighbour, a friend, an acquaintance or work colleague. It is indeed a paradox. Is it useful? Well for me this exercise has, I think, been just a little bit cathartic although I have no illusions that it will make any immediate difference to my state of mind.  I think that I am in for the long haul on this one. But maybe out there is someone else who also suffers the sorts of things that I describe and if they read this blog it might just give them a bit of solace to know that they are not alone. When I had this situation before about five years ago one of the most helpful things was the therapist – a person who has since become a good friend as well and professional help – telling me that his couch was filled each week with people telling him similar stories to mine. I was not alone, nor was I completely nutty – just a bit depressed and that was a great help to me.

And one final thought – not about depression or anxiety or secrets – but following something I mentioned earlier in the blog. I commented that our UK papers are full of the details from the trial of the young man who murdered his teacher in Leeds. In Facebook messages last Christmas, he talked of “brutally killing Maguire” (the teacher) and spending the rest of his life in jail so he would not have to worry about life or money. On the day that he did it he showed other school friends the two knives he had brought to school for the purpose. In other words, he told other people, friends and via a social networking site any strangers that cared to read his postings his innermost thoughts, the things that were of most importance and significance to him..............and no-one took it seriously. It was just one more bit of  "stuff" on social media instantly read and soon forgotten.  Now that really is a paradox, to be given someone’s prized innermost thoughts and not to meaningfully respond in any way. In my view, it is too, a worrying reflection upon young people and the cultures and virtual worlds that they seem to inhabit where innermost secrets and profound information can be ignored or not recognised as important. Maybe if someone reading Facebook had taken note of the killer’s innermost thoughts as set out in his Christmas Day post then a murder might not have been committed and a number of lives not ruined.  It is for me a reminder of the manner in which the trivialising of life and values can occur in the age of the virtual world and social networking where nothing is considered in any depth, all is transient and disappears at the press of the delete button. Montaigne would indeed have been perplexed by that, I think.


Pssst!- listen, do you want to know a secret!


No comments:

Post a Comment